|AJAX ErrorSorry, failed to load required information. Please contact your system administrator.|
Sarawak’s State Legislative Assembly, the oldest legislature in Malaysia, was established after its first inaugural meeting at Bintulu on 8th September 1867. Its first 21-member Sarawak General Council, headed by Rajah Charles Brooke, consisted of six of Brooke’s officers and 16 local community leaders. In 1903, the General Council was renamed Council Negeri.
In 1941, Brooke’s son, Vyner, established a written constitution known as the Constitution Order in Council during the 100th anniversary celebration of the Brookes’ rule in Sarawak. As a result, the Council Negri membership numbers were increased to 24. Instead of Vyner Brookes (in his role as Rajah) the Chief Secretary was appointed to preside over the Council Negeri.
In 1963, the Council Negeri’s membership increased to 42. Since then, it rose incrementally to 48 in 1968, 56 in 1989, 62 in 1996 and 71 in 2006. In 1976, the Council Negeri was renamed the Dewan Undangan Negeri (DUN).
Scan the above QR code to access this portal through mobile
Copyright © 2018 Sarawak Government
Disclaimer: The Government of Sarawak shall not be liable for any loss or damage caused by the usage of any information obtained from this portal. Services provided through this portal are subject to the terms and conditions of the respective service providers.
Best viewed with latest Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome; Screen resolution 1024 by 768 pixels
Sarawak State Secretary Office
Level 20 , Wisma Bapa Malaysia
Petra Jaya, 93502 Kuching